Friday, November 12, 2010

Everything, Everywhere, Always.

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Gordon Lightfoot: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

"The answer is that it does not go anywhere, even if we in our mortal fear cannot see it."
"It's everywhere, in every place, at all times, throughout eternity."
Rev. Richard Ingalls. Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

Spine tingling stuff.
As a former single-handed sailor, far out upon the ocean, I know more than any man should, about waves turning the minutes to hours. And the feeling of imminent doom. And the reality of ecstasy obtained by moving the mind fractionally, to view reality in a different light.

The second bold-italic line, above,  by Rev. Ingalls, is almost exactly the same description I use for the experience of an enlightened state. Except where he describes this as "The Love of God". I describe it as what I became, in that enlightened state:

Everything. 
Everywhere. 
Always. 

Perhaps that is what enlightenment is:
To Become The Love of God.

And that is what is to come.
We are not meant to linger there, while physically alive.
Only, perhaps, to glimpse it.
That is why the enlightened return, enlightened and changed.
Some may choose, then, to wander off and become hermits.
I really can't say I blame them.

1 comment:

  1. Hello my friend,
    I am extremely sorry to have mistyped your name while responding to your comments on my blog.
    I hope you will forgive me for this blunder.
    Wish you Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete